Extended Comments- Danielle’s blog
Danielle makes the connection between Johnsons writing and August’s writing, I would have to agree that ideals and trends we read about in the Johnson article show up in the August writing. Cody was not privileged to the rules and codes of power, because he was from two different cultural backgrounds. First he is Cambodian, and second he has two mothers, versus the nuclear family. He was also adopted. I have known several people who were adopted; however I was never privy to that information until I had known that person for a few years. I guess it is not something that people advertise.
Educators need to remember the importance of generalizing their words. Not every student has a mother and father for a number of reasons. Whether it be divorce, death, or abandonment, many students would not want to disclose this information to others for the fear of being different.
This is also important when designing personalized lessons. Many younger grade teachers assign class work that involves discussing a student’s personal life and home life. This can be dangerous ground for a student who has an alternative lifestyle at home.
Danielle spoke of hiding your “private” world while in public, I think that this particular student (Cody) has some emotional issues surrounding his private world which show up numerous times in the classroom, i.e. yes is winning, and Monkey mask.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your point that, "Educators need to remember the importance of generalizing our words," is well taken! One of the take home messages is think before you otherize someone in the class. I'm glad we had a hands on example in Zeke's kindergarten to point us in the right direction!
ReplyDelete