Rodriguez Blog
I would like to connect the Rodriguez reading to the Finn reading, I noticed that in both excerpts those students felt alienated, because of the instruction or type of instruction they were receiving. As I stated in my blog about Finn, the school system was set up to keep students on track for the class they were in. While the purpose of the school in the Rodriguez reading was to ultimately help the student achieve in public, I believe that the actual feelings of the students were quite the same. Students in the Finn reading might have felt silenced because advancing seemed almost too difficult to try. I know the student in the Rodriguez blog felt silence, at home, and at school at first. I can’t speak of personally losing my individuality, but I can imagine how students might have felt.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with your connection between the student feelings inFinn and Rodriguez. I think it's important to remember that Finn was talking about a student's experience in a public school, whereas, Rodriguez was discussing a private school experience. the way the nuns approach learning and education goes right along with the church's teachings. Although the church does not take a stand on language - from personal experience - the church does encourage following the "rules" and the "rules" spoken or unspoken include English as the "right" language to teach children.
ReplyDelete