Questions: In reading the Delpit, and Johnson papers I came up with the following questions.
Johnson’s writing leads me to believe, that we are not breaking through and solving any issues surrounding difference. In the Delpit reading I am lead to believe that different race students need different type teaching. How can we possibly educate all children the same way if they need different things?
I noticed that the black teacher in the Delpit reading was considered “mean” but effective by the students, while a white teacher who posed commands as questions was not looked upon as being as effective. WHY? Is it because black students were used to being told what to do and white students were not?
My final question surrounds the practice of Distat. I have no recollection of this happening, perhaps because I am young. When and where was this tried? I also beg to differ because the military uses “explicitness and direct instruction” (Delpit 2006) every day at boot camp and it works.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We cant educate all children the same way. Race is only one variable when considering how to approach education.
ReplyDeleteThat picture is adorable!
Love that you started using all the features on the blog -- pictures and a poll! Good questions you ask, though Delpit does answer at least two of them. Let's talk about these in class.
ReplyDeleteOur job would be much easier if we didnt have to differentiate our instruction! We all learn different ways,the key is finding that way and expanding on it regardless of economic background, race or gender.
ReplyDeleteAs we discussed in class students may respond better to direct instruction or being told exactly what is expected of them rather than be given options or no direction. As students in graduate programs, I know I like to know what is expected of me in class, by use of a syllabus and or rubric etc. We need to also use similiar means and tools in our classrooms.
ReplyDeleteI think all children respond better to clear expectations and directives. Knowing what is expected of you and how to perform the given task is an essential element in order to be successful. I believe that as educators, we often assume that the children know how to follow directions, sit in their seats, or put things away appropriately. Without teaching these things explicitly to children, we cannot expect them to know how to do it.
ReplyDeleteMike-
ReplyDeleteI thought is was very interesting that the black children regarded the "mean" teacher highly,even continuing to read the story Coca-Cola after the class was over. The student made a comment that the teacher wouldn't allow a tall guy to take her on and that she didn't let anyone "run her". That was a code of power for the young black man. Absolute authority. He respected it, even though the teacher pushed him. I think it was safe and that created the learning framework, the classroom atmosphere. It made it OK to learn and it was fun.